Gateworks is proud to announce the release of Android KitKat for it’s family of Ventana SBCs. The source and pre-built images for Android 4.4.3 (KitKat) have been released.
To find out what is new in KitKat 4.4 compared to the prior Android JellyBean release, please see the Android documentation: http://www.android.com/versions/kit-kat-4-4/
Notable changes include:
- Update to the Android Open Source Project’s 4.4.3 code base
- Added NAND flash support (for Ventana boards that have 2GB NAND)
- Added support for new products such as the GW551x and GW552x
- Freescale has added many IMX6 performance and stability improvements.
- Newer 3.10.53 based Linux kernel which has many improvements.
Freescale has verified that their Kitkat 4.4.3 BSP (which Gateworks BSP is sourced from), passes Android Compatibility Test Suite (CTS 4.4_r3).
We recommend everyone switch to this new branch for all future Android support.
To get started, follow the building instructions on Gateworks Software Wiki site here: http://trac.gateworks.com/wiki/Android/Building#BuildingAndroidforVentanafromsource